If you are doing some cosmetic work to your car and you want to customize the interior, you might be tempted to change the color of the seat belts.
This can be a fun way to express your own individual style in your car, and add some color to the interior.
But is it safe?
One of the ways that people choose to change the color of their seat belts is by painting the webbing. Is this a good method to use? How does it compare to dying the seatbelt in terms of safety and finish?
And how else can you customize your seat belts?
If you want to know more about changing the color of your seat belts then you are in the right place. We have put together this useful guide to tell you everything you need to know. Keep reading to find out more about seat belt customization.
Can You Paint Seatbelt Webbing?
If you want to change the color of your seat belts then it might seem like a good idea to paint them. However, this is actually a very bad idea for several reasons:
- Finish – Using paint to change the color of your seat belt results in an uneven finish that doesn’t last very long. It will end up looking scruffy and ruining the interior design of your car.
- Retraction – As the paint comes off it will get trapped in the retractor, making the seat belt less effective.
- Paint Chips – Chips of paint could become trapped in the springs or the mechanism of the seat belt, preventing it from working and putting you and your passengers at risk
- Cost – Whilst painting your seat belt might seem like a cheap option, it will cost you more in the long run. You will end up needing to replace your seat belts, as well as possibly repairs the retractor and the mechanism.
In the event of an accident, your seat belt could save your life or prevent you from sustaining a serious injury. That is why it is so important that you not only wear your seat belt, but you refrain from doing anything that could stop it from working properly.
Painting your seat belt will compromise the safety mechanism so you should not do it. But are there any safe ways to change the color of your seat belts?
Dyeing Your Seat Belts
If you are willing to put a bit of effort into changing the color of your seat belts, then it is possible to dye them. However, there are some important things to consider.
Make sure you choose a dye that is very thin in texture. The dye needs to cling to the fibers of the seat belt without being so thick that it causes friction between the seat belt and the retractor or the mechanism. If the dye you choose isn’t thin enough then you can add a bit of paint thinner to it.
You will need to take the seat belts out of the car to dye them. It can take several days for the dye to dry properly, and the seat belts need to be entirely dry before they are re-installed.
You may need a professional to re-install the seat belts to ensure that they meet the safety requirements. As mentioned earlier, seat belts can save lives and prevent serious injuries so you do not want to risk compromising their effectiveness.
Before you dye the seat belts you will need to clean them. This removes any dirt, debris and grease from the seat belts so that the dye will cling to the material properly.
Dyeing materials is a messy job. You will need gloves, overalls, and floor coverings. You will also need somewhere to hang the seat belts as they dry, keeping in mind that they will be dripping wet with dye. If the weather is nice then it is better to do it outside to minimize the risk of you staining anything.
Whilst it is possible to dye the seat belts yourself, it is not really worth the time and the effort. There is a very affordable option available to you which will save you time and money.
Safety Restore Colored Seat Belts
If you want to have your seat belt webbing replaced and don’t want to do it yourself then there are other options. Safety Restore offers seat belt webbing replacement services that are safe and affordable.
This is a great way for you to update the interior design of your car.
The process is simple. Remove your seat belts and send them to Safety Restore along with your order confirmation. They have more than 25 colors to choose from including gold, royal blue, tan, gray, burgundy, purple, orange, neon green, yellow, pink and many more. They also have options for a colored seat belt with a secondary colored edging.
Once they receive your seat belts, Safety Restore will replace the webbing with the color of your choice and then send the seat belts back to you as soon as they are ready. Your spruced up seat belts will then be ready for you to install back in your car. If you want to know more about how the process works, watch this video.
Safety Restore works with many trusted car manufacturers including BMW, Tesla and Toyota. They also offer seat belt repair and replacement services and have received a lot of positive reviews from customers.
Other Options For Interior Customization
If you want to update or customize the interior of your car then there are other things that you can do:
- Seat Belt Covers and Pads – You can get some funky seat belt pads and coverings to make your interior more colorful. Make sure that any products you buy comply with health and safety regulations and do not hinder the function of the seat belt.
- Upholstery – You can get the seats in your reupholstered to give it a fresh look.
- Accessories – Cushions, blankets, and other accessories are cheap but effective ways to make your car interior more colorful and individual.
If you want to change the color of your seat belts then you need to make sure that you do it in a safe way. This means that you should not paint the seat belt webbing as this can prevent the seat belt from working properly. Reach out to Safety Restore as they are the nations leading seat belt experts!